Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mailbox Monday: Week 3

My letter went in the mailbox on Monday; this post comes a couple days 'late'.  :-)

"G" has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. She is not family by blood, but in the hearts of myself, my siblings, my parents, and several others, she is family.


Me, "G", and my daughter. Florida - January 2009

I could tell a million stories, camping, vacationing, The Forty, her fabulous cooking/pickle/salsa/wine/etc making, etc, etc, etc, but this post would go on f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

The most important thing I will share about "G" is friendship. "G" was my grandma's best friend. Ever since my grandpa 'passed away' in 1983 (and probably before?), "G" had been by my grandma's side. She became family. My grandma had a 'cabin' of sorts in Wisconsin that she moved to after she retired in 1986/7. They both lived in Wisconsin until 2005 - the first great-grandbaby came in 2004 and my grandma wanted to move back to 'the cities' to be closer to all of us. When she got sick in 2006, "G" was here quite often to help out with doctor appointments and such. She was here A LOT in 2007 as my grandma's cancer became worse...and was here until her last breaths on October 31, 2007.

We all tried to spend as much time as we could with grandma, between work, kids, etc, but "G" was always there for her. My grandma was so lucky to have such a loving, caring, kindhearted friend. I hope someday when I am breathing my last breaths that I have a friend just like "G" by my side.

I am hoping to drive out to WI soon for a visit - it has been way too long! Maybe we can get in a few games of Hollywood Rummy; "S" and I play, but I am ready for some new competition! ;-)

Thank you "G" for being a part of our family, and mostly for being such a great friend to Grandma... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment