Saturday, July 14, 2012

T.H.E. Recipe Link - Is Here...


Doesn't this look Fabulous? It comes from Rachel's blog: rachel cooks. I love to bake, and since going gluten-free two weeks ago I haven't done as much baking as I usually do (and, we've been so busy with the house that I just haven't taken the time to bake).

BUT, last weekend I needed something sweet. I had this recipe in my 'favorites' and while it was not written as gluten-free, I decided I HAD to make it because it just sounded soooo good. I made a couple substitutions and then I had gluten free Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting! Please visit Rachel's blog for her recipe...but I will list the substitutions for anyone wanting to try this gluten free (just be sure the other ingredients you use are in fact gluten free; chocolate chips, vanilla, etc...).

The recipe makes a 9x13 cake, but I actually made an 8x8 cake because I was worried I may end up eating the whole thing we weren't expecting any company to help us eat it. Other than changing up the flour (and the size) the only other changes I made were using butter instead of shortening (which I don't keep on hand), and using Almond Milk in place of milk for the frosting. I used buttermilk vs. sour milk for the cake, because I had some hanging around in the fridge. Below are the substitution amounts for 9x13, and 8x8 (and I simply cut measurements for all other ingredients in half for the 8x8).

9x13 Cake
In place of 2 cups of all-purpose flour, use:

1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 cup Brown Rice Flour
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum


8x8 Cake
In place of 1 cup of all-purpose flour, use:

1/2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum


Please visit Rachel's blog for the complete recipe...and to see the beautiful photos that make it hard to not want to make this...

If you give the recipe a try - please let me know what your thoughts are, and if you made substitutions or not.

Be sure to stop by and check out the rest of Rachel's blog...she has a ton of great recipes, good reads, and is currently having a Pancake Party during the month of July!


Now...it's time to add this to your to-do list for tomorrow ;-)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this! Makes me want to make it again :)

    ReplyDelete