Friday, June 10, 2011

Finnish Friday - Can I Really Wait Four More Years?

Photo taken (by me) at Salolampi (Bemidji, MN) in 2009

Before I left Finland last summer to journey back home, the plan was to return in 5 years, with my husband. We'd fly into Helsinki (instead of making the flight up to Kuopio, which I've done in the past) and my Finnish 'sister' (and her hubby?) would pick us up so we could tour Helsinki for a couple days before making the drive up to their home near Kuopio. I've been to northern Finland (Rovaniemi, in 2002) and eastern Finland (Joensuu, Savonlinna, 2002 and 2010) and areas in between (including Central Finland, which is 'home base'). In southern Finland I've toured the Helsinki airport...so it's time to get out of the airport and explore!


http://www.mapsofworld.com/finland/maps/map-finland.jpg

It has been nearly a year since I left for Finland...and it seems like just yesterday. In my mind I feel like I am supposed to be going back next month. It's such a strange feeling to describe, especially since I know there is not another journey awaiting me this summer. It almost feels like the same excitement I felt as I was preparing for my journey last year...except I'm not preparing for anything :-)

I miss the landscapes...I miss the food...I miss the adventures...I miss the shopping...I miss the produce department at the markets...I miss the language (even though I have A LOT to learn-watch for another post on this)...I miss the chocolate...I miss the fresh air...I miss the sauna...I miss the Horsma...I miss the wide variety of dairy products that I can't find here...I miss eating fresh strawberries...I miss new experiences in a 'new' land...I miss feeling content...I miss feeling 'at home'...I miss a lot of things...AND MOST OF ALL I MISS MY FAMILY and FRIENDS!

I don't know if I will be able to wait four more years. I am saving my pennies. I am hoping. Would next year be too soon? There is ONE thing I want to work on before I take my next adventure (besides saving up money!). The language. Maybe I will be ready in two years? Time will tell.

If I can travel to Finland before 2015, I would be so grateful. If not, I will be just as grateful for the opportunity to go when I do. And, maybe in 2020 it will be time to take the whole family! The kids will turn 12 and 13 that year. I can't WAIT to bring them with when they get older! But, if I go sooner than 2015, and plan to take the kids in 2020, does that mean that I will need to make at least one more trip in between???

Yes. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment