Sunday, June 10, 2012


Today I woke up more stuffed up and less energetic, but otherwise feeling pretty good.  :-)

The time of day that I struggle seems to bounce back and forth. Yesterday morning was tough for me. Although I was up early, thus should have had time for a decent breakfast, the grain that I could have cooked up as a hot cereal was no where to be seen at our Co-op or grocer. I could have made chick-pea pancakes, but it involved grinding up dried chick-peas in the food processor to make chick-pea flour. The kids went to bed late the night before, so I guess I didn't want to wake them up to that noise, or I was just too lazy...maybe a little of both. I let the kids sleep in a bit, then we were out of the house a bit after 8 to catch a special showing of Madagascar 3 that was playing in the town north of us ($2 tickets!). It was a cute movie and so much fun to take the kids - wish my hubby could have come with (he works Saturdays)! Their grandparents take them to movies every once in a it's a treat for mom to bring them. :-)  Today I will make maple tapioca, a cantaloupe/banana smoothie, and maybe lima bean I'm looking forward to that.

I'll be honest...last night I was considering if I should continue on or not. Day 4 started off sketchy, but the rest of the day I ate pretty well. But I was ALL.THE.TIME. Even 20 minutes after eating. I talked about it with my hubby, and he is wondering if I am experiencing some type of vitamin deficiency which is causing my body to "crave" it, thus displaying itself as hunger (vs. the hunger being a result of my high metabolism). Looking at what I've eaten, and considering my constant hunger, that could be a possibility.

Last December when I was in for my regular check-up, my blood work came back that I was very low in vitamin D.  I did ok taking a supplement for a while, but then I would forget here and there, and while trying to figure out these food 'issues' I haven't been taking it. I took out my bottle of basic vitamin D3 last night, and while it doesn't contain wheat, eggs, milk/milk derivatives, etc.. it does contain soybean oil and corn oil. So, if I am going to take it (and continue on this challenge) I would check the Co-op to see if they have a variety that doesn't contain any of the items in my reintroduction phase. Although my hubby wonders if even taking it at all will skew the results of what I am trying to discover...and according to the book I read, he is right (smart guy he is).

I'm kind of stuck. I am onto Day 5 already. Day 7 starts the reintroduction phase. If I am still experiencing "symptoms" after Day 6, it is advised to continue with the elimination phase since some people can take up to 10 or so days to clear the allergens in their body. My hubby thinks maybe there is something else causing my symptoms, and I think he may be right. Although the week or two previous to starting my challenge I had been eating more homemade bread products (pancakes, muffins, pizza crust) which I had cut out, and I was eating more yogurt than I had been, and then I started feeling worse and my minor 'setback' creeped in on me. Maybe it's several Maybe it's the house?

I will stick with this for now, but I am going to revise the proposed rotation safe lists and menus to ensure that I have enough easy to make meals, and enough variety throughout the day to (hopefully) stay satisfied. I will begin the reintroduction phase on Day 7 as planned, and if this stuffy nose continues I will just contribute it to something else, and see how my body feels as I carry on.

Here is what I ate on Day 4*:

Breakfast: Pink Lady Apple and Spinach Salad
Snack: Gala Apple
Lunch: Pork Chop w/Olive Oil & Basil; Sauteed Celery, Spinach & Basil/Olive Oil
Snack: Granny Smith Apple
Dinner: Boneless Pork Chops; Baked Sweet Potato
Snack: Baked Chickpeas

*I also drink at least 2+ quarts of water throughout the day.

I discovered another food to add to my favorites list. That golden sweet potato...after baking it the tan skin just kind of fell off (it had pulled away during baking). The rest of the potato was left kind of caramelized in a way. I had nothing on it...and it was D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.

The hubby is having some time with the kids upstairs and it sounds like they are done with breakfast...I better get up there and get my own breakfast going so we can carry on with our day :-)

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment