Saturday, June 11, 2011

Gingerbread Muffins

I found this recipe here and the kids and I decided to give it a try (you can also find the recipe below). If you've followed along the last few weeks, I'm sure you've noticed I enjoy making muffins :-)  I'll continue searching for new and interesting recipes to test and share.


These were DELICIOUS paired with a cold glass of milk. While baking, the house smelled wonderful; one of those smells you wish you could bottle up to enjoy later!

I normally freeze the extra muffins that aren't eaten right away, so I sometimes leave off toppings, but since this was my first attempt at this recipe - I made them as directed. The topping was very crumbly, but tasty. I stored the extras in a Tupperware container for a day, just to see how they'd hold up, and they were just as good the next day (so into the freezer they went). I'll try one in the next day or two to see how they are after freezing. If the topping doesn't survive, then I'll just make them without it next time, unless we are having guests and can eat them all fresh from the oven!




Gingerbread Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

2 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour  (5 1/2 dl)
1 tsp baking powder 
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp dried (ground) ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/3 cup sugar  (3/4 dl)
pinch salt
1 cup applesauce  (2 1/4 dl)
1/2 cup molasses  (1 1/8 dl)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)  (1/2 dl)

Topping:
1/4 cup oats (I used rolled oats)  (1/2 dl)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour  (1/2 dl)
4 tsp brown sugar
4 tsp vegetable oil (I used canola)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
tiny pinch salt

Mix all the ingredients for the topping together.

Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ones in, mixing with a few swift strokes until combined. Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin. The batter should come just short of the top. Generously sprinkle the topping onto the muffins, pressing it down gently. Bake for about 20 minutes-use the toothpick test. Cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment